Profession Before Retirement
Project manager, social science research and consulting, and international development projects
Interests & Pursuits
- Music—appreciating, singing, and playing
- Participation in national, state, and local politics
- Volunteer with affordable housing and international education organizations
Courses Taught at HILR
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire
A Few of My Favorite HILR Courses
- The Civil Rights Movement
- Philosophy of Evil
- Immigration to the US
Activities at HILR
- Serving on the curriculum, admissions (chair), development, and inclusivity committees
- Shakespeare and musical theater performances
- Brown bag presentations
What I Value about HILR
My work life was quite varied and intense, and I was a workaholic. As I gradually retired, I was concerned with finding a focal point in my new life that would be stimulating and demanding. I wanted to join a community with similar interests.
HILR is definitely that community. Who knew I would be a monster in a Shakespeare play? That I would lead a study group? I love that I am trying new things in this accepting community. I immerse myself in study groups that cover safe territory for me, such as history, politics, and current events. But I also delve into areas that feel like more of a reach—probability, cell biology, and poetry.
I have found ways to contribute to the community that draws on some of the skills and experience developed in my professional life.